My daughter is a January baby, which means she doesn’t start kindergarten until fall 2017, but gulp, registration for the 2017-2018 school year begins October 3 – and that’s Monday! Registration/open enrollment continues through November 30. This is also your opportunity to request a school outside of your residential area for the 2017-2018 school year, however, you need to complete registration at your child’s resident school first. Not sure where to begin? We’ve compiled some information for you plus provided some helpful links, but make sure to mark your calendar for the NVUSD annual school fair on Tuesday, October 11. Representatives from all NVUSD elementary and middle schools—including principals—will be in attendance, and it is truly your best opportunity to get all your questions answered. In addition, district administrators will be on hand to discuss preschool, transitional kindergarten, special education, ALPS and Magnet programs.

Determining Your Child’s School of Residence
Do not assume you are in a particular school’s area based on how close you may live to the school. And if you have an older child at a school outside your area, do not assume the younger child will automatically be placed in the same school. Placement is always based on your residential address for each student. Click here to find your school of residence.

Transitional Kindergarten (TK), Kindergarten and New Student Registration
The first time you enroll your child at NVUSD (no matter if your child is starting in kindergarten or another grade level), you must visit your neighborhood school to register. Students are assigned to a school based on their home address, not proximity to a school. Students may attend a different school based on space availability through open enrollment.

Students born after September 1 and before December 2 are eligible for Transitional Kindergarten, which helps them to prepare for kindergarten the following year. Registration process is the same as for kindergarten.

To register your student with NVUSD for the first time, you will need to find your neighborhood school, and bring the following with you to your “school of residence”:

  • Parent ID
  • Proof of residency
  • Student birth certificate
  • Emergency contact info
  • Immunization records
  • If applicable, student’s current report card or academic record

Your student will be assigned to attend his or her elementary, middle and high school of residence. If you want to explore open enrollment, you must first complete the registration steps at your school of residence.

If you want to tour a school, contact the school directly to make an appointment.

Open Enrollment
If you want to enroll your child in a school other than your school of residence, open enrollment offers students and parents choice in the schools they attend for elementary school and for secondary (middle and high) school. Napa Valley Unified School District (NVUSD) accepts elementary and secondary applications only during the open enrollment period in the fall of the prior year—that’s October 3-November 3, 2016 for the 2017-2018 school year.

The applicant must be a registered NVUSD student before completing an open enrollment application. Families will be notified in mid-December if they are selected. Notified families then have 48 hours to accept the new school placement or the spot will be offered to the next student on the list. Once a student is accepted to a new school, the student does not have to re-apply every year to continue at that school.

It is important for parents with students changing levels in fall 2017, (such as elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school), to be aware that your child will automatically roll into your school of residence. The school that your child will automatically roll into is not based on where they are currently attending – it is based on your residential address.

Remember that “School Choice” is a request and not a guarantee. Approval is based on capacity at each school. If there are more requests than available capacity, a random unbiased lottery will be conducted to select students. Some schools have very limited availability.

All NVUSD schools may be selected for open enrollment, yet a few schools have special instructions and/or are limited on space.

Magnet Schools
Magnet schools focus on themes of interest and develop student talents. They are public schools with the same governance structure, however, administrators and teachers are highly qualified to supervise and instruct specialized theme-based curriculum. Families interested in applying to an elementary magnet school, (Alta Heights, Bel Aire Park, Napa Junction, Pueblo Vista, Salvador, or Harvest) must ensure registration is complete at the student’s resident school and then complete an online

Special Education
Many students require additional services or supports, because of physical, cognitive or other special needs or disabilities. Students are provided services based on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP). Parents may request that their student be evaluated for an IEP, or teachers or administrators may suggest an evaluation based on classroom observation or other input.

NVUSD’s Special Education program works closely with the Napa County Office of Education’s Special Education Local Planning Area (SELPA) office to ensure that students receive a free, appropriate public education.

NVUSD Special Education: (707) 253-6865
NCOE’s SELPA: (707) 253-6807

Before- and after-school care for your student
Five of NVUSD’s elementary school sites offer before- and after-school care, as well as summer programs. The programs are very popular, so make sure to apply as soon as you enroll your child in NVUSD. Just because your child is attending a school doesn’t mean he/she will get into the after-care program at that school.

School Districts in Napa County
Napa Valley Unified School District includes 30+ schools serving more than 18,000 students in Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through Adult Education, in Napa, American Canyon and Yountville. Other school districts in the county are much smaller and you should contact them directly if you have questions.

Calistoga Joint Unified School District

Howell Mountain Elementary School

Napa Valley Unified School District

Pope Valley Unified Elementary School District

St. Helena Unified School District